Garnet Bracelet is a famous short novel by Alexander Kuprin, who was a Russian writer, pilot, explorer and adventurer.
Not sure if the salad was named after the novel 🙂 but it is one of the most impressive-looking salads in the Russian cuisine. It won’t be left unnoticeable on the Christmas table!
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 chicken fillet
- 1 medium beetroot
- 3 tbsp ground walnuts
- 200-250 ml plain yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- pomegranate seeds to decorate
- Wash the vegetables and place in a large pan (do not peel at this stage).
- Cover with the water, bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer until vegetables are cooked. You may want to remove the carrot out of the pan first as it will be ready quicker than the potatoes and the beetroot.
- In a separate pan place the chicken, cover with salted water and cook until ready. Remove the chicken from the pan and let it cool down.
- Prepare 4 medium-sized bowls for the vegetables and chicken. Peel the vegetables and grate in separate bowls. Tear the chicken fillet into small pieces
- Blend the walnuts and add to the bowl with the grated beetroot. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and mix in 3-4 tbsp yoghurt into each bowl.
- Take a large flat plate and place glass in the middle. The vegetables and chicken layers will be arranged around the glass.
- Firstly layer the grated potatoes, then top with the carrot, then chicken and lastly the beetroot.
- Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and push slightly so they stick to the top and the sides.
- Gently remove the glass. Chill the salad for at least 2 hours and then serve.
- Chicken fillet can be replaced by grated firm cheese (50g) or 5 boiled eggs.