Russian vareniki are stuffed dumplings. Filling could be sweet or savoury.
Potato And Pumpkin Dumplings
Write a review
For The Filling
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 5-6 tbsp frying oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 100 g pumpkin, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
For The Dough
- 160 ml lukewarm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ~230 g plain flour
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into small pieces. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Simmer until cooked. Mash and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan, add chopped onion and grated pumpkin. Add a ladle of water and sweat until soft. Remove from the heat, let it cool.
- To make a dough, pour water in a mixing bowl. Add salt. Gradually add the flour and knead an elastic non-sticky dough. Cover with a cling film and set aside for ~20 mins.
- Combine mashed potato with fried onion and pumpkin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the dough ~0.3 cm thick, cut in rectangles. Place the filling in the middle, fold in half and seal the edges securely.
- In a large saucepan bring water to a boil, add 1 tbsp salt for 1 ½ litre. Cook the dumplings in batches for ~3-5 min.
- Prepare a large shallow plate, spread over a small piece of butter and arrange the dumplings on the plate. Use a skimmer to take the dumplings out of the boiling water.
- Spread over a little butter so the dumplings do not to stick. Serve.
- If not going to cook all the dumplings, place the dumplings (not cooked) in a shallow dish dusted with flour, cover with a cling film and freeze.
for recipes http://for.recipes/