Afarar [a’fa:rar] — thin savoury pastry filled with fresh herbs / potato / butternut squash / cheese — is a traditional Lezgian food dish.
Potato And Cheese Pastry (Afarar)
Write a review
- 300 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 230-240 ml lukewarm water
- 2 large potatoes
- 150 g feta cheese
- 1 handful fresh dill
- 1 handful fresh coriander
- generous pinch of black pepper
- 100-150 g butter
- To make a dough, combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add oil. Gradually stir in the water.
- Knead for 7-10 minutes. The dough should be elastic and non-sticky. Cover with a cling film and leave to rest for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Peel the potatoes and cut into small chunks.
- Place in a saucepan, cover with water and cook until done.
- Drain. Mash potatoes and set aside to cool down.
- Stir in crumbled feta and fresh herbs.
- Season with a black ground pepper. No need to add salt as feta is quite salty.
- Divide the dough into 14 pieces. Take one piece (keep the other under a cling film) and roll into very thin round shaped sheet.
- Use a plate or a lid to make a perfect circle. Cut the edges.
- Take another piece of dough and roll the same size sheet.
- Place the filling on one pastry sheet, cover with another. Seal the edges.
- Dry-fry the pastry on a hot pan. Each side for ~3-4 minutes.
- Put on a plate and generously grease with a butter.
- Keep covered with a parchment paper and kitchen towel while frying the remaining.
for recipes http://for.recipes/