This macaroni chicken cheese bake was my favourite dish what I was a kid. It’s easy and quick dish to make and you can use leftover pasta and/or chicken.
Gently mix in all the ingredients and pour over the egg-milk batter, then bake for 10-15 minutes. It’s that simple! If you are sensitive to dairy then use chicken or vegetable stock instead of milk.
I use filini vermicelles, which are very thin, short-cut strands of pasta. It takes only 3 minutes to cook the past. I add a drizzle of olive oil while cooking the pasta, so it doesn’t stick and also to add a flavour.
- 250 g chicken fillet
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup filini pasta
- 4 tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml milk
- Place the chicken in a boiling salted water and cook for 20 minutes. Let it cool. Chop the meat.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add a drizzle of oil and chopped onions, pour over a ladle of water. Sweat for until onions are soft. Remove from the heat.
- Place the macaroni in a boiled salted water and cook for 3 minutes, drain.
- Heat the oven to 175C.
- In a large bowl mix together chopped chicken, onions, macaroni and half of grated cheese.
- Slightly beat the eggs with milk. Add to the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in a baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake another 5 minutes.
- If prefer dairy free, then replace milk with chicken or vegetable stock.