Use ripe avocados to make this dip; it will be easier to mash them with a fork. If they are not so ripe, then simply blend the avocado. In this case the mixture will be smooth rather than chunky.
As avocados will brown once cut (and the mashing speeds up this process!), I recommend to mash avocados just before serving. However, it doesn’t mean that all other ingredients can’t be prepared in advance. But if you need to keep guacamole before serving, press cling film directly onto the surface.
Tip: place avocados, onion, tomato and chilli in a fridge at least for an hour before making the dip.
- 2 large ripe avocados
- juice of 1/3 lemon or 1/2 lime
- 1 small shallot onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/2 red chilli pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 8-10 coriander springs, chopped (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Place avocado flesh in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork to create a chunky mixture.
- Pour lemon/lime juice.
- Add chopped onion, tomato, chilli pepper and coriander. Mix well.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Red chilli pepper can be substituted by 1/4 tsp chilli flakes