Even my mom who doesn’t eat mushrooms can’t resist this cream of mushroom soup temptation.
With the key ingredient being mushrooms, it is important to pick up the best ones.
I do prefer mixed wild mushrooms such as chanterelles, morels, oysters, or meaty shiitake. They have lovely scent and flavours that makes this soup so aromatic.
This soup is very easy to make – just pop everything into a pot, simmer, then blitz!
Enjoy this warming flavoursome mushroom soup with a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh herbs or just a dollop of cream.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g mixed wild mushrooms, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick, washed and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp white rice, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 l chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a deep non-stick saucepan. Add the oil and mushrooms and fry over medium heat until the mushrooms are caramelised or liquid evaporates.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, celery and rice. Add the bay leaf and pour over the stock. Lower the heat and simmer gently for ~20 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaves and blitz the soup with a blender. Check for seasoning and add more stock if required. Serve garnished with parsley and cream.
- Serve garnished with parsley and heavy cream.