Today I am sharing my version of chicken pad thai with rice noodles – very simple and delicious dish. The main flavors are coming from soy and fish sauces, palm sugar and chilli peppers. I do not always have a palm sugar in my cupboard so I use instead a white sugar which works quite well.
Dry fry the chicken in a pan in its natural fat. If using the chicken breast (which is not rich in fat) add a little bit of oil. Place the pan in the oven to cook the chicken through.
The next step is to sweat the onions and add all ingredients and seasonings. I usually do not add any salt as the fish sauce is quite salty.
I like rice noodles to go with this dish and given that they are so easy to cook prefer them more than any other noodles.
Re-heat gently over low heat then mix in the chopped green onions and cashews (or pine nuts) and garnish with chopped coriander and squeeze the lime.
- 1 large chicken thigh, boned and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- chilli pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- rice noodles for 2 people
- 1 handful fresh bean sprouts
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cashews, roughly chopped
- fresh coriander to garnish
- 1/2 lime juice
- lime wedges to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Dry fry chicken pieces in an oven safe pan until the meat is white all over, then place in the oven for 10 mins or until cooked through.
- Sweat the chopped onion in a hot large wok with a little oil and water until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic paste, soy and fish sauces, sugar and generous pinch of grated chilli pepper.
- Check for seasonings and cook for 1-2 minutes then set aside.
- Boil water in a large pan. Add the rice noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare a large bowl filled in with cold water. Refresh the noodles in cold water so that they do not stick, drain and set aside.
- Combine the chicken, noodles, fresh beans and onions and re-heat gently over low heat.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the chopped green onions and cashews, garnish with chopped coriander and squeeze the lime.
- Use pine nuts instead of cashews.