Write a review
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 small carrot
- 300 g boneless beef or lamb
- ~1L meat stock
- salt, ground black pepper, 1-2 tsp ground cumin
- garlic bulb
- 3/4 cup basmati / jasmine / devzira rice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Roughly chop the onion. Peel and dice the carrot.
- Heat a large deep non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil, onion and carrot and fry for a few minutes.
- Cut the meat into bite sized pieces. Add to the pan and brown the meat.
- Pour over ~0.5L meat stock. Season with salt, black pepper and ground cumin. Taste the stock - it should be a bit more saltier than you would normally prefer. Rice (when added) will take a portion of salt.
- Remove the outer peel of the garlic bulb and add in the center of the pan slightly pushing it down. Cover with a lid and simmer over low heat for ~20 minutes or until the meat is almost tender.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly. Remove the garlic bulb. Evenly spread the rice over the meat and vegetables, using back of a spoon. Return the garlic bulb. Add more stock to fully cover the rice.
- Sprinkle over the cumin seeds. Do not stir until plov is done.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for ~25 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Add more stock if needed. Plov should not be dry. Serve with or without the garlic bulb.
- I like adding roasted peppers when serving plov.
for recipes http://for.recipes/