Pies are staple dish of Caucasian cuisine.
Beef And Onion Pie
Write a review
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
- 10-15 g quick dried yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 large onions
- 400 g minced beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 tbsp butter to garnish
- Stir the yeast in 1/2 cup water. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of flour in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in sugar, salt, egg and the yeast. Gradually add the remaining flour and knead a non-sticky dough.
- Add the oil and knead until fully incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and leave in warm for ~1 hour to let the dough to rise.
- Peel the onions, cut into wedges. Place in a mixing bowl and puree using a hand blender.
- Add minced beef.
- Season with salt and pepper. Mix well
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Divide the dough into 2 even parts. Roll each in a 3-5mm thick circle, place half of the filling and spread evenly leaving 3 cm edges without the filling.
- Pull the edges to the centre of the circle leaving middle part open.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place 1 tbsp butter in the centre of the pie. Take another piece of butter and spread over the pie.
- Cover with a foil and the kitchen towel and leave for ~5 minutes for the pastry to absorb butter and soften.
- Use a hand blender to puree the onions. Do not overdo it, otherwise, mixture will be too watery.
- I use 2 baking tins -- each 22 cm in diameter.
for recipes http://for.recipes/