Angel food cake originated in the United States. It gained its name due to its light and fluffy texture, said to resemble the “food of the angels”.
Serve it with light creamy sauce and melted dark chocolate.
Angel Food Cake
Write a review
- 4 egg whites
- pinch os salt
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 60 g plain flour
- 90 g vanilla icing sugar
- 250 ml skimmed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 heaped tbsp vanilla caster sugar
- 20 g cornstarch
- 3-4 tbsp melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 165C. Grease and dust with a flour a heat proof dish.
- In a large bowl beat up the eggs with a pinch of salt and cream of tartar until firm peaks are formed.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour and sugar for 2-3 times, then gradually stir into the egg mixture.
- Pour the batter into the greased dish and bake for 40-45 minutes. Check readiness with a wooden tooth stick (it should comes out dry).
- Take the cake out and let it cool in the dish for 10 minutes then on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Pour the milk in a saucepan and heat until it just starts boiling. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl beat up the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture is pale, then gradually stir in the cornstarch and pour the batter into saucepan with the milk stirring constantly.
- Return the saucepan to the low heat and simmer until the batter is thick. Stir constantly to remove any lumps. Let the sauce to cool down for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the cake lengthways, spread two thirds of the sauce evenly. Top with the remaining sauce and melted dark chocolate.
for recipes http://for.recipes/